Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Updike

John Updike, one of my favorite authors, died today. He will certainly be missed, although I must say, now at least I have a chance at catching up on his works. He was a more prolific writer than I am a reader.

If anyone, like I often do, reads the plethora of death announcements and becomes intrigued enough to pick up one of his books, I would recommend starting with his earlier collections of short stories. This will prevent your falling into the trap of reading only his many works that beat the topic of suburban adultery to death. Yet even with so much on one subject, his ornate description of the infinite minutia (that normally washes over you unnoticed, but seems of absolute foremost importance as he notices it) never allows it to get completely tiring.