Sunday, March 15, 2009

good music

I've spent an inordinate amount of time during midterms adopting the musical tastes of one of my friends who grew up in Colorado and therefore has very good taste. Playing your favorite Greg Brown song on repeat for a week is great for the soul but I'm sure I'll notice the negative ramifications as soon as grades are posted. Luckily, GPA doesn't really matter anymore. Not that I ever acted like it did...

Anyway, this is one of those things in life that is fundamental to happiness. So go and listen, or you will inevitably be sat down and forced to listen by me, because that's how much I hate seeing people deprived of fundamental happiness.
  1. Gillian Welch and David Rawlings: Folk/Country. Gillian is popularly famous for her contribution to the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack. She has the most delicious voice and soft accent of any female singer I can think of, and David Rawlings is a perfect vocal complement and a fantastic guitarist. And you absolutely can't help smiling when you see them playing together. See this and this for great videos of my two favorite songs.
  2. Greg Brown: Folk/Country. Amazing deep enveloping voice, and one of the best lyricists I've ever heard. Absolutely heartwrenching. But be warned, if you listen to him you will not be able to continue functioning in your day-to-day 9-5 existence. By next weekend you'll end up in a tent on some forgotten mountainside gutting fresh fish, drinking whisky, and mourning lost loves via harmonica. Meet you there?
  3. Punch Brothers and Chris Thile: Bluegrass, bordering on classical chamber style. Chris Thile has a bunch of albums out in his own name but the best is the new one released under the name Punch Brothers. It's like bluegrass, with extra-complicated rhythm that keeps you engrossed and then addicted mentally, with lyrics, mostly about his failed marriage, that would put you in an incurable melancholic state if it weren't so beautiful and interesting. "I know, you know" is so good I actually bought it on itunes.
  4. Falderal String Band: Bluegrass. Obscure little band from Oklahoma that, I just discovered, has one CD out on a website that looks kinda fishy, but of course I immediately ordered it, having listened to them nonstop from age 7 to 13 or so after hearing them at the Stillwater Public Library summer reading program. Hilarious fun songs that have a ridiculous amount of nostalgic value for me, so I'm not sure how to judge them objectively. Ask to borrow the CD.
  5. B.B. King: Blues. Yeah I really don't need to say anything about this one. But in case you've forgotten, he is great.
I'm sure I'll have at least one more post in this vein soon. I have all this amazing new music but tend to get stuck on one album at a time, so it takes awhile to absorb. It's been a very long time since I was this excited about music.