Friday, July 24, 2009

books

Desert Notes: Reflections in the Eye of a Raven, by Barry Holstun Lopez. I picked this up thinking it would be good motorcycle-trip-through-the-southwest reading. I vaguely enjoyed reading it at the time but have already forgotten most of the stories. Stick with Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire.

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. This is one of my boyfriend's favorite books so I was coerced into reading it. Didn't really do it for me. I can tell why someone with an appreciation for that sort of thing might consider McCarthy one of the best modern prose writers but the plot didn't grab me and went on and on monotonously, and I didn't find the characters realistic or sympathetic. And I don't like dreary, depressing books.

Farm City, by Novella Carpenter. This was my latest book club book, about an urban farmer in Oakland. It was fairly entertaining series of stories about her turkey/rabbit/pig raising escapades in an abandoned ghetto lot, which I particularly enjoyed due to the familiar setting. I was very relieved that it was not yet another preachy Berkeley-esque book about food in modern society. The author actually seemed much more preoccupied with her own identity as a farmer than the local food movement or the virtue of killing your own food, etc. And it makes me want to raise food rabbits as soon as I live in a more suitably sized apartment (easy and cheap to raise and breed, quiet, not too messy, dumb enough that I wouldn't be too queasy killing them, easy to clean, and tasty...)