Friday, July 31, 2009

natural born citizens

This whole controversy about whether Obama is a natural born citizen of the United States is obviously insane baseless conspiracy theorizing by a desperate GOP trying anything in its power to fear-monger its base into action. I wouldn't normally even dignify its existence with a comment.

But I have to ask, who cares if he is?? He obviously grew up an American from before he could remember anything different. I couldn't care less whether he was flown to Hawaii from Kenya at age 3 months. It in no way affects his qualifications as President.

I'd go even farther and say the natural born citizen requirement should be dropped altogether. Arnold Schwarzenegger can be governor of the 5th largest economy in the world but he can't be president because he wasn't American as a child? The GOP should be pushing for the drop of the requirement just so they can run him. (Can you imagine an Obama v. Schwarzenegger campaign? The thought makes me giddy.)

And there's even plenty of wiggle room in between "natural born" and "citizen and resident for 14 years". I was born an American citizen (not even dual citizenship) but because that took place in Germany (and not on a military base, within US jurisdiction) I can't be president. Does anyone in the world think my 2 weeks with natural born American parents in Tübingen should stop me?