Monday, September 7, 2009

David Brooks on Health Care

I don't have a lot to say about the raging health care debate. The current system is already so dysfunctional that, despite my libertarianism, I sometimes think single-payer would be an improvement that's at least more likely to be politically feasible than fixing the problems in the piecemeal opaque disaster we have now. And maybe medical innovation won't even collapse when the last first world economy strangles its health care industry - can't China pick up the slack...?

(The fact I'm capable of this train of thought makes it clear what a depressing mess the issue really is.)

But, while I skim halfheartedly over most health care arguments, David Brooks's editorial (hands down my favorite NYTimes opinion columnist. Always sensible and inspiring, vehemently unbeholden to party line in exactly the right ways, never petty or gossipy.) really hit the nail on the head. Must read.