Tuesday, January 19, 2010

economist compliments

"Your utility function is closer to sum than to min."

(Ie, "You appreciate the good in things." Aww.)

***

Unrelatedly, can someone please explain the lyrics to "All You Need Is Love" to me? As far as I can tell it's an inane tautology formed from the converse of the intended statement, and then some nonsense. But since it's one of the best known songs of the century with an extremely clearcut message, I figure I must be missing something... or at least I hope I am, for the sake of humanity's logical abilities.

There's nothing you can do that can't be done
Nothing you can sing that can't be sung
Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game
It's easy

3 comments:

karenerobinson said...

Hey, I came to your blog after you posted on Gleason's note. Sometime around junior year at MIT I put a concerted effort into understanding things like this, and now this is what I get out of the AYNiL lyrics:

(1) if people say (or everyone thinks) something can't be done, you can prove them wrong by doing it

(2) is (1) repeated for emphasis & to illustrate flexibility of the message

(3) you can't argue with these people, see, but you can prove them wrong through your actions. (it's a "game" because their beliefs aren't guided by logic. and once you understand it's a game you can manipulate it.)

(4) It's easy [once you've learned the game].

Vera said...

aha.... well I'm not quite sure how to reproduce your translation of (1) but i'll take your word for it =)

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀