Thursday, March 25, 2010

books

Institutions, Social Norms, and Economic Development, by Jean-Phillippe Platteau - Excellent, fascinating book. Some chunks of it I only skimmed since I had it on short term personal loan, but it's obviously consistently great the whole way through and very thought-provoking. Not written for a popular audience but I'm sure it would be very interesting to many non-economists anyway.

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes, by Bill Waterson - Yep, I spent $80 on the complete set, and it was worth every cent. Nearly 1500 pages of distilled happiness.

Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas by Tom Robbins - Unique and very funny writing style, but a silly book should have a faster-moving plot line. Also I didn't understand the ending, so someone please read it and explain it to me... [This is why I don't read much fiction. Even the NY Times bestsellers go over my head.]