Monday, July 5, 2010

A Mass of Incandescent Gas

At astronomy camp in 2000 and 2001, the camp director, Don McCarthy, played a song about the sun by a guy with a corny old-time style, and we sang it nearly incessantly for 9 days. When I got back, I tried desperately to find a copy of the tape, and downloaded at least 30 versions on the early days of P2P networks, all of which turned out to be the cover version by They Might Be Giants (which is horrible, imo.) Months of searching led nowhere. I couldn't find who wrote it, who sang it, when it was recorded, nothing.

A couple days ago, while planning my solar filter construction, it popped into my head again. Five minutes later I had the whole CD downloaded: Tom Glazer and Dottie Evans performing "Why Does the Sun Shine" on the 1965 album Space Songs, part of the Singing Science series.

I love the internet.

And now for your listening pleasure (and scientific edification, in case you missed second grade), Why Does the Sun Shine:



No comments: