Tuesday, September 21, 2010

books

The Blank Slate, by Steven Pinker - I can't say enough good things about this book, but it's dismaying that it needed to be written at all and how urgently I still think many people need to read it (a certain type of people, those who inform their science with their morality rather than vice versa, and who don't understand the separation of those realms.) Pinker draws on every imaginable field of knowledge to relate back to the central point in a fascinating, intellectually satisfying way.

Someone Like You, by Roald Dahl - Dahl was my favorite children's author and as an adult short story writer he's just as much fun, if not moreso. He's a genius at the uproarious surprise ending.

How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carnegie - One of my best friends loves this book so I finally took the bait when I saw it on a $1 shelf. Not at all bad, bearing in mind I had extremely low expectations to begin with (I didn't know it was written in 1937 - that helps a lot. No new-agey crap). I'm going to write the sequel for extreme introverts "How to Subtly Discourage People from Looking at or Talking to You Without Offending Them".

No comments: