Wednesday, September 22, 2010

No, you're not "running late", you're rude and inconsiderate

Yes, exactly. Oh how I wish that punctuality were considered an important part of etiquette (since it actually affects people) instead of stupid stuff like wearing a tie or remembering people's names that makes people feel good but has no tangible impact on anything...

Sure, I'm late to things a lot, mostly classes. But I'm very very rarely late to things where proceeding on schedule depends on my presence. It annoys the crap out of me that I'm routinely held up for hours because people don't take agreed-upon times seriously, or worse, they assume I'll be late and build in a buffer into the time they tell me (and then show up late even compared to the time they really wanted me to be ready).

And while we're on the subject of things that mysteriously are not considered rude but, in fact, are extremely inconsiderate and frustrating and tangibly impactful, how about splitting the check equally without agreeing on that ahead of time? I am so sick of going to nice restaurants, ordering a salad and water, and then having to pay for everyone else's steak and beer. (Of course, it's always the huge guy who eats four times as much as I do and likes imported beers in large quantities who assumes it's normal to do so.) I have no problem going to your fancy places instead of my dive bars and greasy spoons, and certainly want to remain friends with my richer silicon valley acquaintances even if I have to step into an upper-class world for it. I just don't want to pay for anything besides my side salad.

2 comments:

Daniel McLaury said...

Just get a reputation for going into a split-check arms race *once* -- order the veal-stuffed lobster on a bed of caviar-studded foie gras -- and you'll never face such a problem again.

Vera said...

hehe I don't even want to pay for a fraction of that =) instead I have a reputation of a cheapskate so as soon as I say "umm, is it ok if I just pay for my own, I didn't get any drinks afterall..." everyone starts rolling their eyes and saying I'm antisocial...