Saturday, November 13, 2010

female writers

I will preface this with one of my biggest pet peeves. That is, the following conversation:

"X's are more Y than Z's"
"What about [exception]?"

Even when I carefully follow those statements with "on average"! Don't you people understand that every distribution is not degenerate??

With that said, male authors are so much better than females. At book club last night someone suggested that since we read a book by a male author last month we should choose something by a female author, and I immediately groaned (along with the five men in the room.) It's not that good books by female authors don't exist, they're just so hard to find. Even the women who look at the world in the same way I do and are objectively amazing writers frequently write awful books because they get sucked into identity politics and use their stories as a platform for advocating against all the injustices they've experienced. Or they feel they have to write all these really horribly feminine stories to fill the gap that men have ignored over the centuries.

So of course there's a stereotype of female writers! "Male writer" doesn't mean squat but "female writer" instantly evokes "sensitive feminist". And I don't like sensitive feminist literature. So of course my list of favorite authors is all male... except for Ayn Rand and Camille Paglia, who reject that stereotype in almost comic proportions...

Therefore, a book club that trades off between male and female writers is going to have a disproportionate fraction of sensitive feminist books. And that's why, while I loved the groups, I hated the books, in both of the two women's book clubs I've been in. And that's also why, if you know of female authors with a male style of writing, please let me know so I can suggest books by her if this gender-balance discussion comes up again =)

No comments: