Saturday, December 3, 2011

books

The Wasp Factory, by Iain Banks - Interesting, weird, darkly humorous, engrossing at the time but ultimately not my favorite kind of book. And the ending really didn't tie up enough loose ends in my opinion.

The Crying of Lot 49, by Thomas Pynchon - Unsettlingly engrossing; take a break periodically to reassure yourself that only the character, not you, is toying with sanity. That caution, however, was not meant to contradict or caveat an enthusiastic recommendation. Pynchon disparages this book which makes me want to read his others even more.

The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien - I apparently don't like war stories very much. They were ok in a small dose, but I really don't care for having the ficton of a story shoved in my face constantly. Why would you do that? Tell a story, sell a story, insist on its truth, even if it's obviously not.

3 comments:

green investments said...

I actually read the Tim O'Brien book and quite liked it. Then again, I am a big fan of war stories!

Vera said...

Yeah, it's not bad. My fiction-unveiled nitpick was with about 5% of it :)

HP TOUCHPAD for sale said...

..Hello,
..I'm surfing in the internet and came across your blog.
..I'm quite impressed , with how it makes such good reading.

*_* jampot *_*