Monday, December 26, 2011

optimism update

I forgot one big item on my optimism list. I'm very optimist about the decline of religion (the rise of secularism, the replacement of evangelical flavors of religion with unitarian flavors of religion, the replacement of mythological flavors of religion with secularly spiritual flavors of religion, e.g. Confucianism or Buddhism although I would like to see other such varieties gain popularity as well, etc.)

Interesting on this topic.

Funny on this topic: How many Unitarian Universalists does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Answer: We choose not to make a statement either in favor of or against the need for a light bulb. However, if in your own journey you have found that light bulbs work for you, that is fine. You are invited to write a poem or compose a modern dance about your light bulb. During next Sunday's service, we will explore a number of light bulb traditions, including incandescent, fluorescent, three-way, long-life and tinted; all of which are equally valid paths to luminescence.

(For the record, I love Unitarians. Honestly and unqualifiedly.)

On that note, happy winter holiday of your choosing, so long as you don't try to shame or look down on anyone else for not choosing with you. For those of you looking for a secular occasion to adopt (and why would you abstain from festivities on principle? Make up your own best-of-all-worlds festivities!), ACGPD is an easy way to go, although the lunar eclipse was a good cause as well this year. I don't buy into the winter solstice idea (only the summer solstice - why celebrate the onset of the worst time of year??). I do buy into the back-to-school celebration idea, although that was more pertinent when I actually had classes and actually lived somewhere else for school.

(Edit: as far as decorations go, I'd like to promote the traditional Christmas tree, because they smell nice, topped with a 17-point star, because they're awesome*, and decorated with rainbow lights, because they're... well they're just also awesome. And little plastic balls if you have cats :)

*yes, you have to make it according to Gauss's instructions in order to qualify as awesome. Choose your own skip pattern though.

3 comments:

ellesar said...

I am enthusiastic about the decline in religion - I don't know if I am optimistic as there seems to be a lot of it about in spite of all the evidence to the contrary! But here's hoping...

ellesar said...

You could look at the celebration of the Winter Solstice as being about optimism: the days get longer thereafter until June.

Vera L. te Velde said...

hmm that's true. more power to anyone who wants to be happy for any reason, but I suspect my seasonal crotchetiness will prevent me from whole-heartedly joining in any weather-related holiday until the groundhogs thaw out sufficiently to join in :)