Wednesday, July 10, 2013

pareto efficiency

I haven't been reading SMBC for too long, but long enough to be more and more irritated by his intentional spreading of misinformation about economics (I say intentional because he's obviously smart enough to know better; most of his comics are extremely clever and hilarious.)

So rather than taking Matt's suggestion and sending him an email, which he would probably turn into yet another comic making fun of economists for being pedantic and inhuman, I'm just gonna redo the comics...

re-SMBC part 1, 3045:


5 comments:

Mathieu B├ędard said...

I assume the original had Edgeworth in mind rather than Pareto..?

Vera L. te Velde said...

That would make more sense :)

Justin Blanchard said...

Please keep it up (your re-caption is funny). I technically agree that ZW intentionally spreads misinformation about economics, but it's transparently in the context of a joke and seems neither dangerous nor targeted. It just feels that way when he has a period of high fluency poking fun at one's own favorite field.
I'd also bet a fair handful of readers unfamiliar with Pareto looked him up after reading the comic, with positive effect.

Vera L. te Velde said...

thanks :) yeah I agree this one wasn't particularly offensive or harmful. I'm more bothered by the ones that perpetuate the myth that economists only do useless/ overly money-obsessed / out of touch / inhuman analysis...

airocca said...

YOURS IS SO GOOD. and mathieu seems right. i was so confused :P