Tuesday, August 6, 2013

paper20130805VTV(RW)2edits_merged.tex

I am anal enough about digital organization not to do this myself, but when collaborating it's inevitable. After the last 16 hours of emailing who-knows-how-many versions of this paper draft between three coauthors, merging in all our edits, making more edits, and ending up with filenames as ridiculous as the title of this post (because it makes me sad to have to start adding hours and minutes to the datestamp), this comic feels very relevant. And I'm starting to listen to Matt about the virtues of git*...


*To clarify, I have nothing against git, I'm sure it's wonderful, it's just that I mostly work by myself, so what's the point. And for it to be useful with collaborators you have to work with people who use it, which seems unlikely given that in my field it's hard enough to get people to use miraculous timesaving things like LaTeX, let alone programming languages more real than Stata or Matlab, let alone miraculous timesaving things like Linux, let alone git, so what's the point in starting. Although I could at least force my future RAs to use it with me... and hopefully start a trend...

2 comments:

Justin Blanchard said...

It's definitely a great use case for... any revision control at all, really. I followed a tangent from here to an interesting discussion: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/326429/what-version-control-system-is-most-trivial-to-set-up-and-use-for-toy-projects

Vera L. te Velde said...

hmmmm... intriguing! thanks for the link :)