Wednesday, September 25, 2013

books

Freedom, Jonathan Franzen - Couldn't put it down. This guy wrote at least a dozen complex well-developed characters, any of whom would've been the best written character in most novels. It's 570 pages but not nearly long enough.

Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time, by Dana Sobel - After visiting the Greenwich Observatory, which is essentially a museum of longitude, my friend Henry told me about this book which goes into more detail. Pretty fascinating. Amazing how many thousands of people used to die (ship wrecks, getting lost at sea, etc), not even that long ago, due to such a simple thing that we take completely for granted now.

Introvert Power: Why Your Inner Life Is Your Hidden Strength by Laurie Helgoe - Painfully naval-gazey, written entirely in therapist-speak. I'm just about as introverted as you can get (not antisocial but 100% introverted according to every Myers-Briggs test I've ever taken) so I can empathize with every single sentence, but that also means there wasn't a single new sentence. And I'm long past the angsty teen self-exploration phase of my life where it would've been entertaining as part of a self-definition clarification thing.

No comments: