For a good time, I read Bénabou and Tirole papers*. Even though the Nobel was given for an entirely different kind of work than what Jean does with Roland, I'm very happy to see him win it; ditto to Tyler Cowen's "A theory prize! A rigor prize!" :)
Greatest hits (by my nebulous "fun papers to read" metric, and not in any particular order):
- Identity, Morals, and Taboos: Beliefs as Assets, QJE 2011.
- Willpower and Personal Rules, JPE 2004
- Self-confidence and Personal Motivation, QJE 2002
- Intrinsic and Extrinsic Motivation, ReStud 2003
- Self-control in peer groups, JET 2005 (also with Marco Battaglini)
- Belief in a Just World and Redistributive Politics, QJE 2006
- Incentives and Prosocial Behavior, AER 2006
- Laws and Norms, NBER Working Papers 2011
- Over My Dead Body: Bargaining and the Price of Dignity, AER P&P 2009
*Well, I used to until I ran out of them. C'mon guys, when's the next sequel?