Tuesday, September 27, 2016

obesity statistics

I've heard a lot of Australians say that Australia has higher rates of overweightness and/or obesity than the U.S. I've been quite skeptical of this, because, well, take a walk around Oklahoma sometime and you'll see why. I finally looked it up and it is indeed definitely not true.

Summary: As of 2009-2012 in the U.S., 68.7% of adults were overweight, and 35.3% were obese. As of 2011-2012, 63% of Australian adults were overweight, and 28% were obese.

I'm not saying the truth is any less scary, and Australia and U.S. are indeed duking it out ahead of most of the rest of the world, but rest assured, we're still Mississippi to your Texas.

*Because it costs at least $15 to eat at McDonald's, I mean Maccas, for one thing.

1 comment:

JohnRaymond said...

That surprises me. The reason might be because I live in Oklahoma and am getting so used to seeing the problem that I'm probably not really seeing it anymore.