Friday, December 16, 2016

price inequality

I can't believe I haven't done this before, but I finally went to a really nice concert at the Teatro Municipal de Santiago, a gorgeous 160 year old theater* that reminded me eerily of certain great European tiered-style theaters like the Berlin Staatsoper. We heard a lovely solo piano program of Beethoven, Scriabin, Chopin, Mozart, and Schumann. The best part: it was $3.

This is an instance of a very convenient phenomenon in Chile (and many other non-Euraustramerican countries) in which great economic inequality is matched by great price inequality. Of course prices are correlated with quality for the most part (although my daily $1.50 fresh chicken fajita bought from the street vendors outside PUC is much, much tastier than a $6 Starbucks sandwich) or at least search costs (I tried several very underwhelming hamburguesas before finding the delicious fajitas) it means that cheapskates price sensitive people like me can get by on dramatically less money than average Chilean upperclassman. It's my penny pinching paradise.**

Nonetheless I was surprised this also applies at a fancy concerthall. My 12 year old self already experienced the thrill of a partial view ballet (at the aforementioned Berlin Staatsoper) in which graceful swans leapt into oblivion and then reappeared in midair after a suspense-filled indeterminate delay, so now that I'm an adult with a good income I would certainly be willing to spring for floor seats in such a situation. But for a piano recital, why on earth would I pay $60 for the privilege of seeing the guy's head swaying above the piano lid?

Peacocking is such a waste of money...

Obviously nothing can compare to the cultural scene of New York or Berlin or London or other such cities, but after this experience I might be even more aggressive about seeking out live music opportunities outside of those places than in them. The bang for your buck is just incredible.

Actually, this goes back to what I've said before about the merits of small university towns. You may expect a town of 38,000 people isolated in the Oklahoma plain to be the cultural middle of nowhere, but because Stillwater is a university town there were more free or nearly-free concerts than any normal person wants to go to. I certainly never would have had so much classical music exposure growing up in a big expensive city.

~~~

* Unoriginally, great composers and playwrights' names were inscribed over the ground floor entryways, and also unoriginally, Beethoven took the honored center aisle position. I don't care how unoriginal, deference to Beethoven*** will always put me on your side.

** Q: Who invented copper wiring? A: Two dutchmen on either side of a penny. (HT to my uncles).

*** or emacs

No comments: